Saturday, April 19, 2014

Spool Holders

If you have a vintage Singer Touch & Sew, you probably have noticed that the spool holders have lost the foam pads that hold the thread spool from spinning and rattling.



Replacement pads are available,


but I am always looking for ways to re-use something around the house, rather than buy new.  When we got our new family room furniture, I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a package of 1 1/2 inch felt pads to protect the hardwood floors from scratches. 


There are still about 10 felt pads remaining in the package and they looked about the size of the spool holder pads, so I decided to give it a try.

Using my 50-year-old high school geometry knowledge, I got out a compass and marked the center of the felt pad. 


Then, using the largest adapter on my leather punch,


I punched a hole exactly in the center of the felt pad.



I cleaned the remaining sponge from the spool holder


and mounted the peel-and-stick pad to the spool holder.

And here it is, all ready to go. 


Now I have to look through my stash of felt pads to see if there is one the correct size to renew the small spool holder.

Ed

Ed's Vintage Sewing Machine Shop

2 comments:

UrbanRecyclist Micki S said...

Oh, excellent. I have a couple of those spool pin holders with the spongy part crumbled up. Thank you for the idea!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.